Friday, January 3, 2014

A Better Year

HAPPY NEW YEAAAAAAAAAR!!!  : D

It's been a long, hard winter - the worst winter in people's recent memories, and I'm so fed up with it all.  It's snowing again today, sigh.  I really need a vacation to somewhere warm!

Speaking of vacations, I took my first(ish) big solo vacation this past year!  Which reminds me of my resolutions at the beginning of 2012.  It took me a couple of years, but let's assess my progress.  On my resolutions post of 2012, I said I would:

- Host more parties
- Organize more food tours
- Take a solo vacation
- Remember that although we get thousands of lives, each life lasts only one day
- Act gracefully/Joga Bonito


How did I do?  Well, let's see...
  • Host more parties:  A prime example is my blowout 2013 New Year's Eve Pig Roast!  So many people came, and there was a tasty roasted pig and all the fixin's (and more champagne than I thought possible for a group of humans to consume) for everyone.  It was a wonderful time; my apartment floor looked (and felt - it was so sticky!!) like a bar on in the East Village by the end of the night, but it was worth it.  I also hosted a couple more big parties these past couple of years, but I also hosted more intimate parties such as my Carrie Underwood in the Sound of Music-viewing gathering with a few fabulous girlfriends.  So... check!
  • Organize more food tours:  I have taken friends on taco crawls, Flushing tours and other progressive eating tours, so this one is definitely checked off!
  • Take a solo vacation:  I've traveled by myself before (hell, I even worked in strange countries by myself before for months), but I've never done something quite as ambitious as I did this past year.  In between jobs, I took a full three weeks to travel by myself to Chicago, Germany, Switzerland and Portugal!  (A friend - now a special, special friend, hehe - ultimately met up with me in Portugal, but I intended on going alone, so it totally still counts!)  I was so anxious about the trip before I went, but it turned out to be an experience of a lifetime.  I traveled all over every single day by local buses, subways, trains and planes, and I am super fearless now.  What I found before is true - I enjoy traveling by myself quite a lot!  Check!
  • Each life lasts only one day:  I've been so productive in the past couple of years, especially this past year.  I switched jobs (finally!!!!!!!!), I made new friends and deepened old friendships, I tried many new things, I cooked, I read, I watched movies, I progressed in my various hobbies.... I can always do more, but I'm pretty satisfied that I take full advantage and enjoyment out of this life I've been given.  Check.
  • Joga Bonito:  It means "play beautifully" in Portuguese.  I think I have tried hard and done the best I can in this.  Check, check, check!  

In 2014, I resolve to:
  • Live a healthier lifestyle, including eating healthily and exercising.
  • Be a good/better person in my relationship, and not slip back into unhealthy relationship habits from years ago.  
  • Publish at least one book - hopefully more - about craft cocktails and/or card-making.
  • Get my real estate broker's license and familiarize myself withe market and process of home-buying.  Exciting!  

Let's see how I do in a year!

It's going to be a better year than the one that went before.  Although no one really knows what will happen, but here's to hoping!  I have a good feeling about this year!

Happy New Year!  I wish you health, joy and wonderful adventures in 2014!





No comments:

Post a Comment