Sunday, December 22, 2013

Christmas Ornaments

I made this pretty Christmas ornament card in non-traditional colors for my good friend's mom, whom I call Aunt Sue.


Aunt Sue is a strong woman who has been through a lot in life - familial troubles, marital troubles, relationship troubles, health troubles - but she has never lost her positive attitude and zest for life.  She has been so generous to me over the past few years - in effect, taking me in as part of her family after I was dumped by the ex-fiance.

One of the things I missed the most about the ex (probably even more than the ex himself) was his family.  Although I had issues from time to time with certain of his family members (that I kept to myself), I was very close with all of them and spent all my holidays with them.  I was very grateful for that, since my own immediate family is thousands of miles away and a brief trip to visit during the holidays is often impracticable.

When he and his family abruptly disappeared from my life, I found myself alone for the holidays for the first time in over a decade.  I've never been one to impose on friends, and felt impossibly awkward asking friends if I could join in their family celebrations.  So I spent them alone.  And I can tell you with certainty, nothing quite compares to the loneliness of spending family-oriented holidays sitting by oneself in one's apartment.

My friend began to invite me to the holidays at her mom's house in Westchester a few years ago.  This year, even my brother (who was visiting me from Boston), was invited to their big Thanksgiving dinner.

(You can see the stretchy silver string I used to "hang" the ornaments.  I love how I made yet another design that incorporates the ornament paper punch!)



Aunt Sue is a wonderfully caring person, and generous in sharing her experiences and opinions on my emotional and physical health, my job, my family relationships, my romantic relationships... etc. etc. etc.  I feel very blessed that she and my friend have included me in their special holiday traditions.

I wish this very special lady smooth sailing and happiness this holiday season, and always.




1 comment: