Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Popup Surprise

I'm full of new techniques lately!  After playing around with the quilling technique on my last card, I made this cutie for a friend's birthday recently.  

The simple cover belies the surprise inside...


It's only when you open up the card that you realize it is a cool popup card!



Here's how I made it:

I cut out short strips of coordinating stripe-y paper and glued them in layers in the middle of the inside of the plain white inner layer of the card...


I then used a paper blade knife to cut slits at the top and bottom of each layer...


I then folded the layers inwards so that the closed card looked like this...


And here is what the card looks like after I open it back up...


Then, I glued the entire white inner layer to the teal/green outer layer, and stamped and cut out little bows to stick on the tops of each present.

And here is the finished inside again, just because I love the popuppiness of the stacked gifts.  The cheerful colors make me happy, too.


Next time, I think I will use the same technique to make a tiered birthday cake!


5 comments:

  1. This is amazing, Ann!
    I so enjoy perusing this creative blog of yours. Keep the wonderful ideas coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz! You will need to give me your address in Dublin! ; )

      Delete
    2. Just did. Does this mean I can expect something in the post? ;)

      Delete
    3. Tee hee hee. Methinks that's what it means! (Not suuuuuuper soon, though, since I'm a lazy ass when it comes to actually making the walk to the post office.)

      Delete
  2. Not to worry, whenever you get round to it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete